Collision Mitigation – Buses
Introducing the Bendix™ Wingman® Fusion™ system for IC Buses. Collision Mitigation system uses radar to identify objects in it’s path. Includes camera integrated with radar for more capabilities and higher performance.
The Bendix® Wingman® Advanced™ system is the latest innovation for school buses from the industry leader in active braking technologies – Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems. Bendix Wingman Advanced brings together adaptive cruise control with braking features along with collision mitigation technology, and our full-stability technology – Bendix® ESP® – providing your fleet with a system that can help. Your fleet benefits from a potent combination of active safety technologies that can help your drivers in collisions, rollovers, and loss-of-control situations. In addition, the system can provide data, to help keep you in the know about what’s happening out on the road.
Learn more about Collision Mitigation at https://www.icbus.com/blog/esc-and-cm
Driver Interface Unit
- Located on the vehicle dash.
- Utilizes audible alerts and visual warnings.
Driver Assistance, not Driver Replacement
- Added intelligence and intervention.
- Driver remains in control
Active and Passive Assistance
- Can de-throttle engine, engage retarder, and apply brakes.
- Alerts driver that action may be needed.
- IC Bus is the only school bus OEM that offers both active and passive safety features.
Following Distance Alerts
- Alerts start when speed exceeds 5 mph.
- From 5 to 37 mph typically 1 to 2 alerts.
- Above 37 mph, typically 3 alerts.
- Provides following distance and speed of forward vehicle.
- As driver backs away, alerts go off.
Impact Alerts and Automatic Emergency Braking
- Can help reduce rear-end collisions.
- Above 15 mph, informs driver following distance is closing too fast.
- Actively intervenes and applies brakes if necessary.
- Driver can add more braking or steering.
Adaptive Cruise Control with Braking
- Reinforces safer distance between bus and vehicle ahead.
- Utilizes engine de-throttle, engage retarder, and foundation brakes.
- Automatically maintaines up to a 3.5 second gap.
- Takes action when cruise is engaged.
Stationary Object Alerts
- Warns that a metallic object of size is in the lane of travel.
- Above 10 mph gives up to a 3 second warning.
- Allows driver to slow or swerve.
Stationary Vehicle Braking
- Radar and camera confirm the vehicle ahead.
- Activates at above 15 mph.
- Driver notified up to 3.5 seconds before potential impact.
- If driver doesn’t take action, brakes are automatically applied.
Overspeed Alerts and Action
- System camera reads most speed limit signs.
- Above 20 mph, two levels of alerts and/or intervention.
- +5 mph – Audible warning.
- +10 mph – Alert and 1 second de-throttle.
Lane Departure Warning
- Helps mitigate side-swipe crashes.
- Above 37 mph, alerts driver when vehicle leaves lane.
- Rumble sound if vehicle goes 6 inches out of lane.
- Can discontinue for 15 minute increments, if needed.
- Use of turn signal to indicate lane change suppresses alert.